Although it has plenty of vegetables in this ‘pie’ it was demolished by my kids. Ive added simple things like bagged casserole mix and carrot and swede topping (available from most supermarkets but i used Tesco) just to make it quicker. Ive also used spray oil and 5% mince to make it free on slimming world. You can use lambs mince to make it more authentic but this will add a syn value. Enjoy!
What you will need;
- one white onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp lazy garlic or chopped garlic
- 500g of 5% minced beef
- 1/2 pint of beef stock made up with 2 stock cubes
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 bags of bean casserole mix (so much easier than chopping yourself)
- 500g of chopped carrot and swede either pre chopped or chop yourself
- salt and pepper
- Pierce the bag of the casserole mix and place in the microwave for 15 mins. Meanwhile fry your onions in fry light with the garlic until soft. Add the mince and brown.
- Add the beef stock to the mine and onion mix, then add the bean mix and stir well. simmer and let the sauce thicken and vegetables all cook. Mine had carrots in so i waited until these were soft. add the worscestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste.
- While the mix is cooking down cook the carrot and swede mix in the microwave until soft. Mash them with a potato masher.
- Once the mince mix is finished add this to an over proof dish then top with an even layer of the mash. Place in the oven for approx 20 mins but don’t let the top burn!
This made enough for 5 of us to enjoy on its own but to stretch further you can serve with salad or bead. If you liked or tried this recipe then please follow my blog and leave a comment 🙂